We made it with a few quirks..


It was nice to get FOOD on our COPA airlines flight. lotsa food, good and hot and tasty. in September I traveled to Washington Dc on Delta and received pretzels and a drink. that’s it. our LAX to Panama – six hours- we were feed meals twice and drinks multiple times. panama to Ecuador again we wer fed on a 2.5 hour flight with REAL silverware in coach class. WOW.

Customs was no problem and all of our gifts – 2 suitcases full- got thru with no problems and no inspections. then we waited an hour for Rene and Robin to arrive which they did with one carry on. I was sooooo impressed that someone could travel light than me TILL I found out that their checked bags were all left in San Salvador including about twenty other people, mainly Canadians.

Just got a delivery and it was NOT Rene’s luggage. Our friend Lenny from Portland lives in Cuenca.  We asked him to round up a few items that we will need when we go into the hinterlands like bottled water. Cuenca has the best wat in EC and it is safe to drink but when traveling anywhere else it is best to drink the bottled stuff or live on soda. we also asked for TP, yes toilet paper and some paper towels.

I wish the delivery had been the suitcases because it is rather COOL here in Cuenca and Rene Is in shorts.  After Rene and Robin arrived at the GYE airport, we went back and forth with the baggage folks about the lost bags. they would give us compensation at 9 am for our discomfort and the bags would be shipped to Cuenca to our hostel the following night on the same flight that they came in on- one day later. However they would NOT agree to put us up in a hotel so we could be there for our compensation the next morning. PLUS we had a bus to catch over the Andes. so we got some official lost baggage paperwork with telephone numbers and left multiple numbers for them to reach us and off we  went to the bus station. we got all our suitcases in one taxi plus the four of us and took the hair raising ride to the Terminal Terestre for four dollars. we missed the 3 AM bus so had a wait of one hour for the 4 am bus. We got our tickets for th four hour ride at $8.25 per person, got a few snackos including kefir, and my favorite soda PONY MALTA!!!

We boarded the bus, luggage stored underneath and tilted back the seats and off to sleep we went over the Andes. Four hours later we were in Cuencaville trying to get a taxi for all of us. Go figure no one wanted us. finally a man assisted us and in we went for our $2.50 ride to Posada del Rio, our lovely hostel. we rang the bell and our hosts said our rooms would be ready in an hour but we could leave our bags and grab breakfast. So we did at the WindHorse cafe just steps from our hostel and it was good.  many expats were eating there but we were too tired to be involved. well Rene was ok and friendly and asking everyone where they were from…Texas, Canada, Oregon and more.

Well, we are all awake after a long sleep and now we are hungry and have a recommendation of Tutu Mattos for pizza So here we go!


About aterosin

I'm a retired Orchestra teacher and cellist with a love of traveling. I live in Southern Oregon and use this blog for my travel posts. I'm fascinated with Ecuador and have traveled there several times. I could see myself living there full time. Other travels have taken me to Austria, Germany, China (2x's), Italy, Mexico and soon to Guatemala.

One response »

  1. Pingback: We made it with a few quirks.. | gerrygoestoecuador

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s